On this page you’ll find:
Connection Specialist Overview
Our Connection Specialist supports older adults (55+) by providing information on opportunities to increase social connections. The Connection Specialist works with you one-on-one to learn about your individual needs, strengths, and interests. Getting to know you helps us create a personalized plan to increase your social connections in a way that is meaningful and accessible. We stay with you until you feel you’ve increased your social connections.
Call our Connection Specialist if you:
- Are an adult aged 55 or older and live in Halton
- Are interested in meeting new people
- Want to increase your skills in making new social connections
- Want to know how to get involved in your neighbourhood and community
- Have experienced a significant change or event in your life (for example: retirement, moved to a new home, someone close to you has died, experienced a distressing event, etc.).
- Are interested in learning more about how we can support you
Here are some benefits to calling our Connection Specialist
- Receive relevant information and resources
- We can provide you with information about accessible options to help reduce some barriers in participating in the community. Information can include accessible transit options, low-cost or no-cost transportation, culturally appropriate social opportunities, and more.
- Learn about informal opportunities for social connections in your community
- Learn about communities, groups, and events that you can join based on your faith, culture, interests, and hobbies.
- Learn about formal services and programs
- Based on your needs and interests, we can connect you to meal programs, exercise classes, friendly visiting and calling programs, in-person or online adult day programs, in-home support services, and more.
Accessing our Connection Specialist is:
- Available to you at no cost with no obligation
- This service is offered free of cost.
- You can call us once and decide it’s not for you or you can call us as many times as you need.
- We will not share any of your personal or identifying information with anyone without your permission.
- Offered in many languages
- Language shouldn’t be a barrier. We have access to language interpreters.
- Respectful of cultural and racial diversity
- We can support you with opportunities for social connections that are culturally and racially inclusive.
- Respectful of gender diversity
- We can support you with opportunities for social connections that are considerate of gender diversity, including non-binary and trans inclusion.
- Respectful of faith diversity
- We can support you with opportunities for social connections within your faith group. We can also connect you with services and programs that are considerate of your faith.